Roger Allan Cleaves's Page
Roger Allan Cleaves's Photos
- Relationship status
- College / University
- University of Wisconsin- Madison
- Program / Degree
- Member type
- Artist, Collector, Critic, Gallery
- If you're an artist, what kind of art do you make?
- Drawing, Installation, Painting, Printmaking, Sculpture, Video
- I am...
- Roger Allan Cleaves was born in Memphis,TN and studied at the University of Memphis, where he received his BFA degree. During his time at Memphis he attended the Yale Norfolk Summer Program for the arts after receiving the Ellen Battell Stoekel Fellowship. His works have been featured in many juried exhibitions across the country. In 2008 Cleaves was awarded the GOF and the Louis G Roberts Fellowship to attend graduate school at the University of Wisconsin at Madison where he received his MFA degree in 2011. His most recent publication is the 2011 International Drawing Annual published by Manifest Gallery. Currently, Cleaves lives and works in Madison,WI.
- About my artwork
- My works are a mixture of autobiographical tales, symbolic icons, and cultural events that I want to make sense of through the art making process. I’m interested in the combination of memories, from both my point of view and the accounts of other people’s lives through documentation or spoken recollection. A constant dialogue between these gathered memories and other works of art from art history and classic literary novels occurs in my work. I’m interested in both images and works of art that featured protagonist capable of heroic ability. Like all great protagonist my characters have short comings. My interest lies in how the short comings of characters shape the contemporary landscape.
With my research in mind, I create characters based on this idea of the heroic and these characters investigate an envisioned dystopian world that mimics contemporary life. I’m exploring the idea of wanting to change something about the world and about my own identity, but not knowing the best way to achieve that change. Change is created through adventure and the through heroic feats. My works are a document of a society’s adventures, failures, and mundane moments in life.
- Centre of the artworld:
- nowhere and everywhere
Roger Allan Cleaves's Videos