4art.com

Creative Global Network for the Visual Arts

This is 75 minutes and 6 seconds of pure blue screen. Nothing less and nothing more. This is how a description of a new movie by J. D. Salinger’s legendary novel The Catcher in the Rye, directed by Nigel Tomm, begins. Full movie’s description at IMDB is:

This is 75 minutes and 6 seconds of pure blue screen. Nothing less and nothing more. New movie by Nigel Tomm demolishes the boundaries of new absurdism. In 1951, a novel 'The Catcher in the Rye' by J. D. Salinger was published. In 2008, a film 'The Catcher in the Rye' directed by Nigel Tomm was filmed. Intelligent. Eccentric and subversive. 'The Catcher in the Rye' by Nigel Tomm preserves and destroys, it lifts and anchors, it aids and hinders, it's convenient and frustrating. It has two sides. The most extravagant depths of your wildest imagination are packed in 75 minutes and 6 seconds of pure blue screen. Breathtaking.

Snapshot of Nigel Tomm’s The Catcher in the Rye

I will not review this movie. Why? Because there’s nothing to review, because it is 75 minutes and 6 seconds of pure blue screen (nothing less and nothing more). Do you see what to review? I would call it 75 minutes of pure meditation behind a screen of your blue consciousness or 75 minutes of waiting for art to come. And I’m still waiting, watching, hesitating... and waiting again. I must admit, it’s hard, maybe not so hard as one hour of pure white screen (see Tomm’s Hamlet review by Bill Gibron) or other Nigel Tomm’s deconstructed classics, such as Waiting for Godot, Oedipus Rex, The Brothers Karamazov. I don’t ask the meaning of these films, I’m just asking Why? Why to watch, or why not to watch. The best thing I could say is to stay quiet. Let the movies “speak”.

By the way, Nigel Tomm is known for his literary remix works and recently he is working on the world’s longest published novel The Blah Story (up to now ten volumes are published), where he introduced a concept of abstract novel (abstract literature).

Views: 409

Reply to This

Members

My links

Groups

© 2018   Created by 4art Media.   Powered by

Links | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service