4art.com

Creative Global Network for the Visual Arts

One day in early January 2010, whilst on his lunch break, a guy was having an argument with a friend about modern art. His friend, having studied art at university, was vigorously defending it with the usual arguments of the art being representative and an emotional interpretation of the artists’ innermost feelings and experiences.

The guy disagreed.

He saw the vast majority of modern art as ‘crap on a canvas’ (or words to that effect). He held the stance that todays modern art could have been produced by absolutely anybody with no tangible artistic talent. The only reason this art work sold, he felt, was because the artist had become a ‘known entity’ on the art scene and was able to project some anal significance to the mess they had created and labeled it as ‘art’.

The conversation turned into a heated debate and so the guy decided to set himself a challenge. He would see if, with absolutely no artistic talent at all, he could create a piece of modern art and sell it for a profit; his hypothesis being that “most of todays modern artists are tallentless and absolutely anyone can create modern art and sell it”.

The Faux Artist was born.

The challenge would have the following guidelines:

1) The modern art must be sold for a profit i.e. more than it cost to make

2) The modern art can not be knowingly sold to friends or family of the Faux Artist

3) No-one else can help the Faux Artist in the creation of the modern art

4) There is no restriction on the type or number of mediums utilized in the art work, however must satisfy point 1

5) Any reasonable channels can be used to try and sell the art work

6) At no point must the Faux Artist lie to enhance his artistic profile
…that would just be down right dishonest, now wouldn’t it!

With these rules in place, let the experiment commence!

www.FauxArtist.co.uk

-The Faux Artist-

Views: 971

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bruce Rimell said:
What makes an artwork valuable?
The answer, according to Melanie Clore, Deputy Chairman of Sotheby's, is five-fold: condition, rarity, reputation of the artist, competition, and confidence that the piece will at least hold its value.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/willgompertz/2010/02/giacom...

Possibly of interest to some?

If I was a collector it would.
Art is the heart behind the work.Art is the heart ,the emotion the colour which combine in a perfect way to form the unity.
What do we really need.?
If you consider art as means of making profit ,you are nothing more than a cheap individual.
If you consider art the symbol of sacrifice and love than you are the romantic,the unique individual born to be an artist.
Modern art?
A means of subtle expression and virtual energy.

The seed has grown and grown,and became the tree . is the tree somehow modern?
Isn’t by the way a tree?

I like art and I can not label it as modern or old,or as you say.

You need joy to make her knock at your heart you need beauty and love you make it grow.
My first piece of crap modern art is complete!

Check it out and follow the expriment at www.FauxArtist.co.uk!

-FauxArtist-
Faux - I tried - bad link........(I think).........

WordPress database error Got error 28 from storage engine for query SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (151, 149, 129, 106, 72, 59, 55, 43, 1) ORDER BY t.name ASC made by require, wp, WP->main, WP->query_posts, WP_Query->query, WP_Query->get_posts, update_post_caches, update_object_term_cache, wp_get_object_terms
WordPress database error Got error 28 from storage engine for query SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxo
That is some heavy shit man.

mike hinc said:
Faux - I tried - bad link........(I think).........

WordPress database error Got error 28 from storage engine for query SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (151, 149, 129, 106, 72, 59, 55, 43, 1) ORDER BY t.name ASC made by require, wp, WP->main, WP->query_posts, WP_Query->query, WP_Query->get_posts, update_post_caches, update_object_term_cache, wp_get_object_terms
WordPress database error Got error 28 from storage engine for query SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxo
Its back up now. Had a small server issue!!

www.FauxArtist.co.uk

-FauxArtist-
That's what I always say. They never believe me.
Haha nice

mike hinc said:
That's what I always say. They never believe me.
Expenditure so far:

Canvas x3 = £3.97
Cheap Acrylics x5 = £5.00
Expensive Acrylic Set = £14.99
Cheap Paint Brush Set = £0.99
Can of Spray Paint = £1.50

Total = £26.45

Marty McCutcheon said:
Dear FauxArtist,

How much did your first "piece of crap" cost to make?
No just the one canvas and have loads of paint left.

To hazard a guess; i'd estimate it to have cost me about £3.00 + 30 mins of my time
I'm an 'artist'. I'm much more greedy than that! The work expresses the struggle in society to conform to the norm in order to be accepted...or someother bull crap i'll think up in due course...therefore it 'justifies' a price tag of much much more... ;-)
Hmm you're the second person to try and split hairs and offer me the whole +1p profit. I shall revise the 'rules' in due course to reflect the point of this experiment... which to to challenge the quality of todays 'modern art' and what the market is willing to buy. The part about selling it for a profit is really a tertiary measure as I could just sell everything I make for a penny...however i'm trying to portray the trates of a real artist...and this involves the outragous price tags :-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

My links

Groups

© 2022   Created by 4art Media.   Powered by

Links | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service