CALADAN GALLERY

“INNER NOISE”
“DAN PEREZ’ SPECTRUM OF TIME EMBODIED”
“DAVID MAZURE: EMERGENCE”

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRESS CONTACT: Marjorie Kaye

@Caladan Gallery

(617) 838-8929

CALADAN GALLERY features 23 national and international artists in its on-line juried exhibition entitled “INNER NOISE”, where the elusive quality of sub-conscious chatter is visualized. Attempts are made to forge a connection with the known, causal world, and that which remains underneath the surface. In some of the works, the phenomenon of the inner cacophony of endless noise is rather elusive; one has to dig to reveal it. This could be due to the fact that the artist(s) are reluctant to expose this stream of noise to themselves and consequently to the viewer! Actually, some "inner noise" is best left as a private experience anyway...There are some works that illustrate a common inner experience so acutely that it brings about an instant recognition in ourselves. Other works involve objects appearing and disappearing into view, comparable to the dancing dust lights we see when we close our eyes...Somehow one receives an "instant cleansing" upon viewing these works.
DAN PEREZ creates a contemporary theatrical statement in a rich, digital format. His figures are reminiscent of mythological personae, decorated, detailed, and placed in modern sanctuary. They move around as chess pieces, however uncertain of their impending fates, seemingly lost among the avenues and buildings. They rest among plastic properties, couches, lampposts, houses, and trees, isolated, involved, and transitory. Dan Perez has created a duality of attachment and disattachment, evoking spirits and ghosts of the present, transmuted as the living.
There is an extremely luxurious quality to the drawings and prints of DAVID MAZURE, and viewing them is a marvel. The surfaces are warm and smooth, the quality of line and value classic and intriguing. Upon further observation, there is a symbiotic arrangement between the amorphic, non-descript emergence of spirit, and the concrete nature of the visually attainable. David Mazure seeks to rectify and inhabit both planes simultaneously, arranging an agreement between the known and the unknown.
These exhibitions will be on-line at www.caladangallery.com from October 15 – November 14, 2008. For more information, please call 617-838-8929 or email us at director@caladangallery.com.

MORE ABOUT THE ARTISTS

The view from within is not so simplistic in works by Martin Blanco (Barcelona, Spain), Solo Exhibition Award Winner. They are the 2-D visual representation of film noire, David Lynch, any film that examines the world of our inner absurdity. In these pieces, we attach ourselves to the human embodiments of angst, experiencing with them the "Desperate Cry", the question "Why?", and "Leave Me Alone". We almost don't need the titles, although they do enhance the visual dynamics. "Inner Noise" becomes an inner shouting match, which becomes akin to the World of Wrestling, only in the mind.
Ever close your eyes and study the forms and shapes and little dust lights dancing in front of your lids? Ever dig deeply into the sound of yourself in a pool of angst? Ever have the sweet veil of sleep smooth over the twitching of subconscious snippets? The paintings by Steven Bogart (Maynard, MA), Solo Exhibition Award Winner, bring one to conceive and somehow re-align memory and senses into productivity and the ability to absorb the mind's daily electrical storms. Like taking a machete to dense forest vines, these paintings beckon a similar brazing of a path; through the synapses of mechanical reaction to understanding. it is possible to view the path and possibly the destination.
Solo Exhibition Award Winner Lauren Curtis (Franklin Park, NJ) provides a pure totem as a receptacle for timeless dimension. She perfects the utilization of a totem, or the Pagan tradition of assigning a natural object as the personification of human traits and purposes. Thus, we are invited to stand strong and firm in the anticipation of chaos. In the painting "Mourning Tree", the artist decides to leave the clues and anonymous extraction alone and hands up the human model. We are almost tempted to ask that she doesn't, as the two paintings in which trees are the only objects present provide a more personal experience. However, the artist finds importance in this sort of personified self-exploration, and we could not embark on the suggestion of eliminating it!
The process of the works of Albert Aguirre (Riverside, CA) is as follows: "Color pinhole image, changed to antique. Print with Cyanotype on hot press watercolor paper, and tone with borax and tea. Apply Encaustic process. Assemble each image as a grid. Re-shoot with digital camera." *Director's Note: I feel myself instantly hypnotized by the surface, which is apparent even in virtual form. There is a great feeling of warmth and the pieces lead one to the Beginning, whether it be sleep or a form of meditation. Questions arise from these works, ones that are ancient and at once corrupt and pure, as would befit a planet full of "fallen angels" such as ourselves.

Emilie Sayward Brown (Delray Beach, FL) inspires contemplation: As most of us stare at a computer at one time or another during the day, one wonders where the virtual world, the plastic world, and the organic world intersect. When we say "plastic" we don't automatically equate that with the virtual world. A plastic world is a duplication, a source, of the natural world. Thus, we set this up as a Holy Trinity of sorts, with the virtual world being obviously that of the spirit (or Holy Ghost)(as unrefined as it remains at this day); the "plastic" world being that of the Father, perhaps, where all notions and conceptions arise from (and "plastic" being referentially "man-made"); and perhaps the organic world around us is personified as the "Son", the manifestation of the two, the child. The work shown here, of Emilie Sayward Brown is a code, an attempt to reunite us with the matrix of our own legend.
Cosmic, astronomical digital images by Hariclia Michailidou are, in the classic cinemagraphic sense, a testimony to our dichotomous place in the universe. We stand in the midst of generated energies, whether they be cosmic or human-influenced. We are at once in a sea of these energies, bombarded by particles both natural and plastic; but we are also quite singular entities, surrounded by the void of our unknown destinies. Her works beckon the viewer to create one's own sense of balance, to quiet the ever-present dissonant symphony of expectation.
Willard Tucker (Columbus, OH) writes: "Recently, I have become interested in the point in the marketplace where electricity is transformed from power to energy. In some instances this seems a matter of practicality: it would be difficult to rally support for the US Department of Power or the Cheney Power Bill. It is very important for electricity providers to keep their commodity in mist-enveloped space of renewal, in the perceived virginal field of the network. In…three works, Portal, Bounding, and Coal Curtain, I tread the sublime edge between terror and transcendence, with electrified toaster wire, and sifted coal dust. In Portal and Bounding, I have pushed each space to its maximum power output, creating a disorienting hum. Like a bug zapper, the viewer is innately drawn to the glowing wire. In Coal Curtain, the viewer is provided a dust mask, and then showered in an 8 foot wall of coal dust. As the material enters the air, visibility is completely blacked out; as it dissipates; the space and viewers are revealed, covered in soot. Having grown up in Kentucky on the edge of Appalachia, I have developed an intense interest and fear of the coal industry. In a age when environmentalism is moving to the forefront, it seems nonsensical to me, that electricity and its production maintain connotations free-flowing, immaterial, and lighter than air. "

Full Listing of Participating Artists – “INNER NOISE”

*Martin Blanco, Solo Exhibition Award Winner, Barcelona, Spain – Digital Media
*Steven Bogart, Solo Exhibition Award Winner, Maynard, MA – Painting
*Lauren Curtis, Solo Exhibition Award Winner, Franklin Park, NJ – Painting
Albert Aguirre, Riverside, CA – Mixed Media
Bill Briggs, Lexington, MA – Digitally Enhanced Photography
Sarah Brinegar, Huntington, WV – Photography
Emilie Sayward Brown, Delray Beach, FL – Mixed Media
Angela Cazel Jahn, Phoenix, AZ – Mixed Media
Peter Chamberlain, Honolulu, HI – Digital Media
Rene Crigler, Indianapolis, IN – Mixed Media
Thaniel Lee, New Albany, IN – Photography
Jim Lively, Dallas, TX – Painting
Gaylene McConnell, Niles, OH – Mixed Media
Haricilia Michailidou, East Elmhurst, NY – Digital Media
Mohamed Nabiil Shehata Mohamed, Cairo, Egypt – Painting
Christine O’Brien, Peabody, MA – Photography/Mixed Media
Byron O’Neal, Tulsa, OK – Photography
Chancellor Page, Farmers Branch, TX – Mixed Media
Sandra Perez Ramos, Bethesda, MD – Mixed Media
Natalya Sapershteyn, Philadelphia, PA – Painting
Willard Tucker, Columbus, OH – Mixed Media/Installation
Heather Wilhelm, Costa Mesa, CA – Photography
Helena Wurzel, Brooklyn, NY – Paper Cut Out

CALADAN GALLERY
Marjorie Kaye, Director
P.O. Box 391939
Cambridge, MA 02139
www.caladangallery.com
director@caladangallery.com

Views: 26

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you!
I post the following prose-poem as a contribution to the discussion after reading the above.-Ron Price, Australia
------------------------------
A WORK OF ART

Henry Miller wrote that “only when we are truely alone does the fullness and richness of life reveal itself to us.”1 I would add that the presence, the existence, of the social side of life makes for the value of the solitary side. There is an essential polarity that is at the core of the experience of oneness. There are also other essential realities that are part of this same experience of oneness: the abstract nature of life, the interrelatedness of all creatures, the omnipresence of life, transcendence, the notion of germination and the concept of divinity. Guy Murchie describes these several ‘mysteries of life’ in a rich texture of analysis and example.2 These mysteries are part of my progression toward a felt unity; they are the underpinnings, the context, of my woes and tribulations. For one of the great principles through which these mysteries are manifested is suffering: with fire We test the gold.3 Part of this unity, too, is the sense of common purpose arrived at individually. Finally, I have created what for me is a new life in this poetry. I can create more. I can understand more. But I feel it can come to an end at any time, as can my life. I cling to it no more. I have made of myself, as Gordon writes, a work of art.
-Ron Price with thanks to 1 Henry Miller in The Mind and Art of Henry Miller, William Gordon, Jonathan Cape, London, 1968, p. 193; 2 Guy Murchie, The Seven Mysteries of Life, Houghton Mifflin Co., Boston, 1978; 3 Baha’u’llah, The Baha’i Writings; and 4 William Gordon, op.cit., p.191.

And I pass from my art to my life,
for art is only a means to life.
It points the way, a necessary means,
as I learn to think, to feel, in a new way,
in an educated way, in my own way
which took many years to form
as I slowly threw myself
into a poetic current, voluntarily,
perhaps of necessity, giving myself up
to the experience as it became automatic,
with a new certitude, a new anchorage
which is difficult to describe yet subsists
and exudes from all that I have written.

Ron Price
14 August 2000
Thank you for your insight!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

My links

Groups

© 2019   Created by 4art Media.   Powered by

Links | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service