4art.com

Creative Global Network for the Visual Arts

does art have the intrinsic power to heal us? or rather...are all artists bad before they become artists?

yes, yes, i know.....the snobbery that that exists betwixt the 'professionals' and those suffering from mental illness (art therapy) is clearly evident...but why I ask you?
surely, if we are all honest with ourselves, hasn't being artists helped us to avoid:
1)prison
2)the sanitorium(nuthouse((U.K.))
3)suicide
4)wallowing in our own little puddle of self pity
5)poverty
6)office jobs(links back to 2))
7)becoming stale, boring, subservient gits
8)outrageous drug abuse
etc etc
Personally, I'm intrigued......the world could implode any minute but there'd still be an artist there to document it! to either rationalise or irationalise it of course!

Views: 189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice try. Perhaps they didn't like spiders.
I am not sure if I could talk for any artist other than myself. Since childhood I was scolded for
being a "vilde chai", a wild child, nonconformist but with recognized talent in creative areas.
I was encouraged and discouraged and chastised and molded by the school and the family.
My daughters had the benefits of different parents,and more enlightened teachers but were still saddled with same presience,sensitivity and challenges. One was an early musician and artist
but now acts. The other one was gifted in all areas but died at 19 years old from Hodgkins Disease. In the long run I have wondered if anything matters but my other daughter and I
are still here making sense of life through our arts. I paint. I write. She writes and acts.
Music heals me. Art impales. I work at my art as if it were a full time job. I had other options
and did not have to do this but always have done it as it followed me through life and grew
until I could not ignore it and took it up. Some artists find themselves. Some lose themselves.
Some surrender and some escape. I look back and try to go forward in life and in art. Personalities and temperments vary from one artist to another and how much is environment and how much is cognition? How much is training and how much is attitude. It is such a big,
vast subject fraught with politics,theories,science,aesthetics. I just do.
Amy - lovely to see you back on line. Hope all is well with you.
Thanks,Mike. I have been a "witness" but just not so involved in writing lately. I did some
updates on my amycohenbanker.com website and started to get involved in multimedia,
as in Chelsea Art Museum,Hermitage, Sonic Self project. Somehow just taking care of
loose ends has been occupying me. I did one large commission as part of a trade for an
art deco baby grand piano and otherwise not too much until Spring. Eveline Luppi Gallery
and Janos Gat Gallery in Rhode Island and Manhattan are still showing my work. In Spring
and Summer I will exhibit with Sanford Smith Fine Art,Great Barrington,MA. Otherwise,
I am just trying to organize and go forward. Ogan Gurel,facebook and Linked In, has used
about 30 of my paintings as illustrations as a book. Larissa Schmallo has used one for a book.
I also had a show of photographs and drawings in Beijing,China with AIM.
cover.
Attachments:
Amy - you put me to shame - what can I say - I can't get arrested. Well done!!!
Yeah, well, I try to stay "under the radar" as far as getting arrested. Traffic cops are my
nemesis. But as far as art, maybe that is why I am taking some time to do new works for
winter. I have lost painting inspiration temporarily but need to go back to the well.
I have been just reviewing books,music,socializing and trying to stay in good health. tonight
I just found out, I am attending a Museum of Modern Art Black Tie Opening as a guest. Tell
you more tomorrow!
which reminds me I still owe my landlord a painting in lieu of one month's rent from a couple of years ago when I was out of pocket... still am... maybe I should keep quiet...
Art is an expression of myself, and not something that saves me from anything at all.
I agree Samuel - isn't it Art Therapy that's meant to do the "saving" ?????- not Art, which must be quite purposeless or it wouldn't be Art. I think it is so difficult to be sure of anything about Art. One thing I'm not sure of - how do you KNOW that Art is an expression of your self? And can you prove it?
....or, can one go for all of the above AND art?
...what ever you create is and has its own character, that's what makes art so interesting...
and art therapy has many different approaches...
INVITATION: http://rossellodamiano.ning.com/
A TRUE INTERNATIONAL SOCIAL-NETWORK RESERVED TO ARTISTS AND TO PROFESSIONAL OF CONTEMPORANY VISUAL ART- THE NETWORKAS ALMOST 10000 MEMBERS REGISTRED FROM ALL THE WORLD

YOU CAN OPEN FOR FREE YOUR PAGE WHERE TO PUBLISH UP TO 100 PHOTO OF YOUR ARTWORKS

YOU CAN PUBLISH EVENTS POSTS,VIDEOS AND WRITE PUBLIC OR PRIVATE MESSAGES TO OTHER MEMBERS

http://rossellodamiano.ning.com/

QUESTO BLOG D'ARTE CONTA GIA' OLTRE 10000 AFFILIATI. E' DEL TUTTO GRATUITO. OGNI MEMBRO AVRA' UNA SUA PAGINA PERSONALE CHE POTRA' CREARLA COME MEGLIO CREDE, POTRA' POSTARE OLTRE100 FOTO E VIDEO, POSTARE BLOG FORUM, E COMUNICARE CON GLI ALTRI SIA TRAMITE CHAT CHE PRIVATAMENTE. ESSENDO UN BLOG INTERNAZIONALE E' IN LINGUA INGLESE, MA UNA VOLTA REGISTRATI SI PUO' SELEZIONARE LA LINGUA DESIDERATA. IO NON VENDO NIENTE, SONO UN'ARTISTA ANCHE IO CHE HO CREATO QUESTO POSTO SOLAMENTE PERCHE' MI SONO SFUFATO DI PAGARE PER ESPORRE. PIU' SIAMO E PIU' SIAMO APPETIBILI AGLI SPONSOR CHE PROSSIMAMENTE CI ORGANIZZERANNO UNA GRANDE MANIFESTAZIONE INTERNAZIONALE. PER CUI AGGIUNGETEVI E AIUTATEMI A FAR CRESCERE IL GRUPPO INVITANDO LE VOSTRE AMICIZIE ARTISTICHE http://rossellodamiano.ning.com/

http://rossellodamiano.ning.com/ / CE BLOG D'ART COMPTE DÉJÀ' AU-DELÀ 10000 AFFILIÉS. ET' DU TOUT GRATUIT. CHAQUE MEMBRE AURA' SA PAGE PERSONNELLE QUI POURRA' LA CRÉER COMME MIEUX IL CROIT, IL POURRA' POSTER OLTRE100 PHOTO ET ÉCRAN, POSTER BLOG FORUM, ET COMMUNIQUER AVEC LES AUTRES SOIT PAR CHAT QU'EN PRIVÉ. EN ÉTANT UN BLOG INTERNATIONAL ET' EN LANGUE ANGLAISE MAIS UNE FOIS LES ENREGISTRÉS PEUT' SÉLECTIONNER LA LANGUE DÉSIRÉE. JE NE VENDS RIEN, CE SONT UN ARTISTE AUSSI JE QUE J'AI CRÉÉ CETTE PLACE SEULEMENT PARCE QUE' JE SUIS contraire DE PAYÉ POUR EXPOSER. NOUS SOMMES PLUS' ET NOUS SOMMES PLUS' DÉSIRABLES AUX SPONSORS QUI PROCHAINEMENT NOUS ORGANISERONT UNE GRANDE MANIFESTATION INTERNATIONALE. POUR LEQUEL AJOUTEZ ELLE VOUS M'EST AIDÉ À FAIRE CROISSANCE LE GROUPE EN INVITANT VOS AMITIÉS ARTISTIQUES.

Visit A MEETING PLACE FOR ARTISTS AND GALLERIES

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

My links

Groups

© 2020   Created by 4art Media.   Powered by

Links | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service