4art.com

Creative Global Network for the Visual Arts

How about we re-name these pages, self promoting, mutual backslapping adverts !
What's the betting someone comes along and bumps their ad with some puerile hogwash.

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've still yet to figure out where all the discussion is too... figured it might be in the Groups section, but that doesn't seem to be too active either...
Don't look too hard Bruce for fear of disappointment, I've been on this site for donkeys ages and I can assure you with the exception of fleeting merriment their is little to get excited about. If you do want some jolly banter then I suggest you trundle over to the idle foundation, http://idlefoundation.net/ its a perfect delectation for the creative, talented and gifted in this world.
Could say the same about most criticism/theory Baron. People are basically selling their stuff. Is there some disinterested mind, some innocent eye with which to survey the scene with supreme objectivity? Well if there is, I think we might argue over whose faculties it belongs to.

But it might be better if discussion started from SOME SPECIFIC TOPIC!
So true
CAP said:
Could say the same about most criticism/theory Baron. People are basically selling their stuff. Is there some disinterested mind, some innocent eye with which to survey the scene with supreme objectivity? Well if there is, I think we might argue over whose faculties it belongs to.

But it might be better if discussion started from SOME SPECIFIC TOPIC!

And here lies the problem!

Those who actually take the time to read the discussion pages and find the odd titbit on offer, will no doubt form and convey an opinion. However the majority that drift onto the discussion pages are so time poor that they miss out on such a useful tool.
Lets face it, of all the people who have registered on Art Review only a small percentage contribute here. Even the admin are conspicuous by their absence.
The discussion pages give me the same feeling as wandering around an old archaeological ruined city: there used to be people here but all the talk has died down and all that's left are the stones. Here's where the artists used to sit and talk, look you can even see the bumprints worn away on the stones where they sat. But now, alas, there's only the stone and the artists have gone.
Actually I feel that about a lot of Artreview.com... I seem to have joined long after all the action stopped happening... Or, again, am I missing the place where everyone actually is, some obscure corner of the site where the talk still goes on.
The groups are mostly the same - joining a group is like entering an old abandoned house on a rain-soaked moor somewhere...
You know I quite like my metaphor here. It's not often you get to use the word 'bumprints' in a serious context. Well, not that serious...
I mostly comment on Reviews, First Views, News and A.R.Live's blogs (although the line between these is often a little confusing - items get posted in more than one category for some reason - so that it can be confusing trying to track comments by article title).

I'm happy to let AR staff set topics by their pieces - the discussion often goes in unexpected directions - such as -
http://www.artreview.com/forum/topic/show?id=1474022%3ATopic%3A799446

But if AA wants to know what art means to me - phew! big question! - I'll backheel this one to the keeper -
@ www.depictionandpainting.net
I have to agree, but art review is little different from a great deal of social networking sites. There seems to be a glut of people who are using the internet for promotion, but are not contributing much of value.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

My links

Groups

© 2020   Created by 4art Media.   Powered by

Links | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service