Deadline for applications: 31 July 2013
Theme: The features of this land
The prefix ‘trans’ means to go beyond, get across, cross, exchange, change and convert.
The Residence Support Program provides a time and place for artists to experience new encounters and carry out experiments to guide their future projects. Participating artists are expected to bring new ideas to the local culture and people while they, in turn, will hopefully acquire new perspectives through these fresh encounters. As a result of the residence program, the artists will convey their new experiences, gathered from the local lifestyle and our particular geographic situation, to their next destination. We hope that the residence program at Akiyoshidai International Art Village becomes a space for artists to go beyond cultural borders and expand their outlooks, exchange their unique understandings and establish relationships with fellow artists.
19 January (Sun) – 14 March (Fri), 2014 [55 days]
January 19 (Sun) Program Starts
January 20 (Mon) Orientation
February 8 (Sat) Open Studio
March 1 (Sat) Opening Reception
March 1 (Sat) – March 9 (Sun) Presentation
March 14 (Fri) Program ends
Numbers of artists accepted
(1) 3 artists (2 of non-Japanese, 1 of Japanese) , under 40 years old.
(2) Artists who work on the theme above.
(3) Groups of 2 artists may apply, but no larger.
Artists who must be able:
(1) to stay at AIAV during the designated period of time.
(2) to participate in all pubic programs, e.g. open studio, presentations and talks and to create new work.
(3) to participate in the exchange programs for local community, e.g. talks, lectures and outreach programs.
(4) to provide images and documentations, e.g. pictures and videos, for publicity and archiving in accordance with AIAV’s request.
(5) to take part in educational programs at local schools and universities in English or Japanese.
(6) to work and live independently.
(7) to present the results of the residence program, e.g. exhibitions, reviews or talks outside Japan within a year after the program.
(1) Travel expenses: a round trip from your address to AIAV
(A round trip tickets for international flights, domestic flights and/or domestic railway tickets)
(2) Accommodation at AIAV (single room with own bath and toilet)
(3) Studio (the allocation of studios is decided by AIAV: artists may have to share with others)
(4) Production expenses: 200,000 yen
(5) Per diem: 2,800 yen x days of the program
Copyright and Publicity
(1) Artworks produced during the program belong to the artists.
(2) Images, taken during the program, e.g. photos of the artists and exhibition views, belong to AIAV.
(3) Artists are expected to be cooperative when photographed and asked to participate in publicity, e.g. for newspaper interviews.
(4) Artists may be asked to loan or donate their pieces of work but they have the rights to refuse such requests.
* Artists have to install and deinstall their work by themselves.
* Artists also have to pack their work and pay shipping costs if necessary.
* Artists are not allowed to be accompanied by anyone for the program. When artists’ family or friends visit AIAV, they can stay
with charge of accommodation fee for approximately 3,000 yen per night (prices differ according to room types).
* There is a common kitchen at the residence hall, where artists can cook for themselves.
* Income tax (20%) will be imposed on those from countries, which do not have a tax convention with Japan.
How to apply
(1) Application form can be downloaded at AIAV’s website. http://www.aiav.jp
(2) Please submit your application with the following items.
□ Printed application forms (3 pages) attached with passport photograph, 4cm (h) x 3 cm (w).
□ Color prints of your portfolio on A4 or letter size paper (up to 10 images).
□ For video works, please edit them down to 5 minutes (mov, m4v or mp4, up to 50 MB each).
□ Color-copies of articles and reviews from catalogues, newspapers and magazines, if you have any (up to 3 articles)
□ DVD or CD-R including digital files of application forms, portfolio, video works, articles and reviews.
* AIAV will not return the submitted applications.
* AIAV does not accept applications via email or fax.
* Submitted information will be only used for the selection for this residence program.
& inquiries should be addressed to:
Akiyoshidai International Art Village
the planning and management section
Residence Support Program Staff
50 Akiyoshi Shuho-cho Mine-shi Yamaguchi 754-0511 JAPAN
TEL: + 81(0)837-63-0020 / FAX: +81(0)837-63-0021
Website: http://www.aiav.jp/ e-mail: email@example.com